Thursday, January 12, 2012

Friday the 13th is upon us...

So I am getting my braces on tomorrow morning. My appointment is at 9:30 and I couldn't be less enthused about something. I've been having a lot of trouble coming to terms with the fact that this whole process is actually going to come to fruition and I will have metal brackets across my teeth for a year and a half. Some days I feel fine about it and others I just cannot believe the luck (or lack there of) I have. I've honestly spent some nights in bed before I could fall asleep getting angry with myself thinking things like "Why didn't I just leave it alone? My teeth aren't that bad." But they are, and like I said in my very first post, this is a positive thing--it's not going to make my life worse, but all the better, and I am very grateful to have a family that is willing to help me feel more confident in my appearance.

I wasn't supposed to see my dentist before tomorrow, but the other day a spacer fell out of my teeth and I called to be sure it wasn't a big deal. She asked me to come in so she could replace it, and it ended up turning into an hour-long appointment in which she put a wire in my mouth. It is connected to the bands on my back lower teeth and goes along the inside of my lower teeth. She said it's there because my lower molars are exactly where they should be and the wire will help guide my lower teeth as the braces move them. It looks like this...


It's kind of annoying since I am just getting used to it, and honestly it's given me a little bit of a lisp since my tongue hits up against it every time I speak. She is putting another one behind my top teeth as well, but said she wanted to wait and mold it so it would be more comfortable for me.

That same day that I got this crazy wire, I also went on a date with a guy I went to high school with, but who I've never really hung around with other than at the occasional hometown party thrown by a mutual friend. Anyway, I ran into him on NYE and he ended  up asking for my number and the next day asking me out to dinner. So this past Tuesday we went out and had a really great time, which I honestly didn't expect. We are supposed to go play pool tonight and of course he has no idea that tomorrow morning I will look like a 13 year old. So this has been a major issue flying around my head for the past few nights. As everyone keeps telling me, "if he's a good guy and likes you then he won't care." But I don't know, I think if I was in that position, as shallow as it sounds, I might care. But I guess we'll see what happens when I finally build up the nerve to tell him. Wish me luck!

I will post some photos and knee-jerk reactions to my new metal mouth tomorrow when I get home from the dentist.

Until then!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment