Saturday, January 14, 2012

tiny, hidden blessings.

So I know I have been updating a lot - but I guess I just have a lot of thoughts to get out!

I've had my braces for about 24 hours now and other than some discomfort, I don't think I hate them as much as I thought I was going to. I just woke up so my mouth feels gross and full of foreign metal, but I know that is something I will get used to sooner or later.

Yesterday after getting home from my appointment, I honestly felt relief. I think I was mostly worried about getting braces before I had them. But now that I have them, I'm still the same girl - I look the same, I just have some stuff on my teeth that will only be there for a short time and is there to make me better. I was so surprised with how okay I was with them.

I honestly planned to spending the remainder of this weekend in the house not dealing with the reality, but I willed myself to go out with some friends last night and their reaction was so much better than I expected. Given, they knew that I was getting them on, so they weren't shocked, but they were both like, "OMG I expected them to be so much more noticeable. I'm not even lying, they look cute!" Now I'm sure some of that was exaggeration to make me feel better about it, but I have very genuine close friends who are always honest, so it made me feel a little better.

The one thing I actually like, yes, I said l-i-k-e, about my braces is the way they have already affected my eating habits. I recently started getting serious about getting into better shape and have been working out and eating better for about a month and I've seen some progress, losing about 8 pounds in the last two weeks. What I've noticed since yesterday is how much my braces limit my desire to snack, and how much slower I eat, allowing myself to feel full before finishing a meal. I think they are going to really help me with my weight loss goals, and that's a wonderful thing.

So those are my day one reactions. Right now I just wish I could rip them out because they are slashing up the inside of my mouth and they still feel strange when I talk - but wax and time will heal all wounds!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment