Sunday, January 22, 2012

week one update!

So I've had my braces for a little more than a week now. It's been a strange transition. Sometimes I'll run my tongue over my teeth and think, "OMG WHAT?". But other times I look at myself and I feel like they look so normal, like I've had them forever.

The hardest part has been coming back to school and revealing them to all of my friends. I didn't tell most people I was getting them on so when I see people I kind of hide my mouth, which is silly because once I smile and we have the quick "Oh wow, you got braces?" conversation I feel so much more comfortable. I just can't wait until everyone knows about them and I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Thankfully I worked up the courage to tell the guy I've been talking to and he basically told me I'm silly for thinking he would care. He said he had braces for three years and how much worse things could be. That was a relief. Since I've gone back to school I haven't seen him so he doesn't know what I look like as a metal mouth, so I'm hoping that will be quick and painless--whenever it happens!

I know it's only been 9 days but I feel like my teeth already look straighter. I am so happy that I've started this process because even though it's playing with my self esteem, it's also giving me reasons to feel good about myself and the things I am doing to better myself. I have gotten a lot of words of respect from people and that makes me feel good. I just have to get comfortable with smiling with my mouth open!

M

3 comments:

  1. Hey!
    The second time with braces is never fun lol
    We always hope its over for good after the first set.
    You are gorgeous though and I think you are going to be so happy with the outcome. The most awesome part is that the changes happen so fast that before you know it you and everyone around you is like wow!! your teeth are so straight!
    Guys are actually a lot more accepting of the brace face than we assume they will be, which is always nice to know!
    Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the kind words, Terra! I am so happy to have stumbled upon this little community of braced bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I can really relate to what you said about people who didn't know you were getting braces seeing them for the first time. I got mine put on just before my last sememster of my last year of uni, and I'd only told my close friends I was getting them. So whenever I saw someone who I hadn't told, I was just so self-conscious that they would be looking at my braces. It was difficult to know what to do because you don't want to be like 'So...I've got braces' because they probably don't care, but then they don't say anything about them and it just feels like there's an elephant in the room! You just want to say 'yes I have braces, let' move on'!

    I can also really relate to what you were saying about smiling in photos. I also look really odd if I smile with my mouth closed, so I have no choice but to give a big metally grin in pictures. I hate it! All I see when I see pictures of myself is my big brace face! I can't wait to get them off!

    I'm about to follow your blog and look forward to joining you in this journey!

    ReplyDelete